>

Martyred for the Gospel

Martyred for the Gospel
The burning of Tharchbishop of Cant. D. Tho. Cranmer in the town dich at Oxford, with his hand first thrust into the fyre, wherwith he subscribed before. [Click on the picture to see Cranmer's last words.]

Daily Bible Verse

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Part One of the Catechism: 1662 Book of Common Prayer





A Catechism

That is to say, an Instruction to be Learned of Every Person, Before he be Brought to be Confirmed by the Bishop.


QUESTION. What is your Name?
    Answer. N. or M.
    Question. Who gave you this Name?
    Answer. My Godfathers and Godmothers in my Baptism; wherein I was made a member of Christ, the child of God, and an inheritor of the kingdom of heaven.
    Question. What did your Godfathers and Godmothers then for you?
    Answer. They did promise and vow three things in my name. First, that I should renounce the devil and all his works, the pomps and vanity of this wicked world, and all the sinful lusts of the flesh. Secondly, that I should believe all the Articles of the Christian Faith. And thirdly, that I should keep God's holy will and commandments, and walk in the same all the days of my life.
    Question. Dost thou not think that thou art bound to believe, and to do, as they have promised for thee?
    Answer. Yes verily: and by God's help so I will. And I heartily thank our heavenly Father, that he hath called me to this state of salvation, through Jesus Christ our Saviour. And I pray unto God to give me his grace, that I may continue in the same unto my life's end.


  Glory be to the Father, and to the Son : and to the Holy Ghost;
    Answer. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be : world without end. Amen.


1 comment:

Charlie J. Ray said...

The line, "...wherein I was made a member of Christ, the child of God, and an inheritor of the kingdom of heaven," does not refer to baptismal regeneration since the catechism later identifies a sacrament as an outward sign of an inward grace. The inward grace takes place in the heart, not in the sacrament itself.

The statement is rather a statement of faith trusting that the children of church members will indeed grow up and be confirmed. The fact that the child is going through catechism for confirmation shows that he or she has been taught the Scriptures and has been discipled and churched.

Charlie

Support Reasonable Christian Ministries with your generous donation.