>

Martyred for the Gospel

Martyred for the Gospel
The burning of Tharchbishop of Cant. D. Tho. Cranmer in the town dich at Oxford, with his hand first thrust into the fyre, wherwith he subscribed before. [Click on the picture to see Cranmer's last words.]

Daily Bible Verse

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fw: Heresy....

 

Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: Heresy....

Brother Charlie,
 
Thanks for respecting my existence and giving me some time.  You obviously are analytical and like to think through your point of view in some depth.  You also are opinionated (no question).  Me too.  Which means that we cannot agree on everything.

You wrote:
Justification by faith alone is the doctrine which will determine whether someone is saved or lost for eternity.  It is non-negotiable. 
 
I believe in this doctrine, but to split hairs, it not the doctrine itself that saves.  Jesus saves.  He alone will determine where I end up.  He knows my heart.  I trust His blood and and I trust His judgment.  We're good.
 
You wrote:
I do not have a "high view of Scripture."  My view is that Scripture is the only infallible and inerrant rule for faith and practice. 
 
I happen to define "the only infalliable and inerrant rule for faith and practice" as a "high view of Scripture."   So in my view, we are on the same page here.  The issue is one of authority (vs. church leaders and their interpretations, science, philosophies, one's own opinions, etc.). 
 
Some of us, however, think we personally have a corner on understanding scripture, which of course we don't.  Scripture itself tells us that we are to "lean not on our own understanding."   A bit of humility is always in order when we present our own views as the "right" interpretation of scripture or the "right" tradition.  Otherwise, we are saying that we are God.  I don't know about you, but I still have a lot to learn at the feet of my Lord. 
 
You wrote:
I care nothing for denominationalism, especially when denominations like the AC-NA are overtly Anglo-Catholic and therefore heretical.
 
Compromise on this issue has led to what you see taking place in TEC and the AC at large.  Even Evangelicals have forsaken this doctrine in favor of ecumenical relationships.  I have more in common with a local church teaching the doctrines of grace than with the vast majority of Evangelical or Anglican churches.
 
So I wonder why you post so much on VOL, when it obviously promotes AC-NA and seeks to reconcile Evangelical and Anglo-catholic streams within Anglicanism. 
 
I confess to knowing wonderful, Spirit-led, Christ-loving, Bible-believing people in both streams (no heretics in either place).  I confess to wanting to reconcile them and I believe that it is necessary in order for Anglicanism to be blessed and to succeed according to God's will.  Correct doctrine IS important, but there are a few things that are actually more important (like loving God and loving each other).
 
From your words, my guess is that you strongly disagree with the goal of reconcilation with Anglo-catholics (since you judge them heretical and headed for hell). 
 
You could express your views a bit more agreeably, however;  that would attract more to your point of view.  Or perhaps you just want to be right and to hell with the rest of us.
 
 
LORD, we beseech thee, grant thy people grace to withstand the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and with pure hearts and minds to follow thee the only God; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.
 
AMEN!
 
Grant us, O Lord, to trust in you with ALL our hearts;  for as you always resist the proud who confide in their own strength, so you never forsake those who make their boast of your mercy.   And because without you we are not able to please you, mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit may in all things direct and rule our hearts;  through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.   AMEN.  
(Adapted from the Book of Common Prayer, Propers 18, 19)  


In Christ,

 

- Bruce

No comments:

Support Reasonable Christian Ministries with your generous donation.