>

Martyred for the Gospel

Martyred for the Gospel
The burning of Tharchbishop of Cant. D. Tho. Cranmer in the town dich at Oxford, with his hand first thrust into the fyre, wherwith he subscribed before. [Click on the picture to see Cranmer's last words.]

Daily Bible Verse

Monday, May 07, 2012

Martin Luther: Galatians 2:20

Galatians 2:20

Such is our misery that, when temptation or death comes, we soon set Christ aside and consider our own past life and what we have done. Unless we are raised up again by faith, we must perish. We must therefore learn in such conflicts and terrors of conscience to forget ourselves and set the law, our past life, and all our deeds aside, for they drive us only to consider ourselves. We must learn to turn our eyes wholly to the brass serpent—Jesus Christ crucified—and believe firmly that he is our righteousness and life. Then we must not fear the threats of the law, sin, death, and divine judgment, for Christ, on whom our eyes are fixed and in whom we live, who also lives in us, is Lord and conqueror of the law, sin, death, and all evil. In him we find offered most certain consolation, and in him victory is given to us.

So I do not live in my own person, but Christ lives in me. The I who no longer lives is the person who has the law and is bound to do what it requires as a certain person separate from Christ. This person Paul rejects. As he is separate from Christ, he belongs to death and hell. That is why Paul says Christ lives in me. He is my form, my perfection, adorning and beautifying my faith. We cannot conceive spiritually how closely Christ is united to us. Christ lives this life in me that I now live; he himself is this life that I now live. Therefore, Christ and I are one in this respect.

Christ living in me abolishes the law, condemns sin, and destroys death, for all these things must vanish at his presence. Christ is everlasting peace, consolation, righteousness, and life; and to these the terror of the law, heaviness of mind, sin, hell, and death must give way. So Christ, living and remaining in me, takes away and swallows up all evils that trouble me. This is why I am set free from the terror of the law and sin, am separate from myself, and am transferred to Christ and his kingdom, which is a kingdom of grace, peace, joy, life, salvation, and eternal glory. While I remain in him, what evil is there that can harm me?


Luther, M. (1998). Galatians. The Crossway classic commentaries (105–106). Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books.

No comments:

Support Reasonable Christian Ministries with your generous donation.