>

Martyred for the Gospel

Martyred for the Gospel
The burning of Tharchbishop of Cant. D. Tho. Cranmer in the town dich at Oxford, with his hand first thrust into the fyre, wherwith he subscribed before. [Click on the picture to see Cranmer's last words.]

Daily Bible Verse

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pharisees, Tradition, and Ecstatic Enthusiasm

I was reminded recently why I am no longer a Pentecostal.  Have nothing to do with those who place their trust in their own ability to keep God's law, do their own miracles, or invent their own personal revelations.  Scripture alone is the final authority in all matters of faith, practice, and doctrine.  When the Pharisees look to their own experiences, revelations, and enthusiasm they contradict the plain teaching of God's written Word, the only revelation that matters.  All else is human opinion.  (2 Corinthians 4:6).

I had a Pentecostal minister friend from years back ask me to support a mission trip to South America.  I told him that I do not support Pentecostal ministries anymore because I regard the Arminian and Pentecostal traditions as false religions.  He was very surprised to learn that.  But I felt good that I had taken a stand that should have been taken years ago.  I have lost many friends over my faith in the absolute sovereignty of God and of a grace of salvation that is absolutely free.  But so be it.

I made the mistake of asking an elderly charismatic Baptist friend to do the memorial service for my nephew.  He conveniently had an excuse.  Thanks be to God!  God has a way of correcting us in moments of weakness.  In the end a preacher of sovereign grace officiated at the graveside memorial service for Neil Moreno Ray, Jr.  Bubba will be greatly missed.  But I have good reason to believe that I will see him again in heaven.  Why?  Because election is unconditional and God knows who belongs to Him.  (Ephesians 1:4, 5, 11; 2 Timothy 2:19).

No comments:

Support Reasonable Christian Ministries with your generous donation.